2013 PERSONAL INCOME AND TAX RELIEF FOR SUBMISSION OF TAX RETURN for Residents in Malaysia including Foreigners who have a valid visa.
Tax Rate Range : 0- 26% for Residents.
A) INCOME including any other income received during the year e.g. dividend income, rental income, etc
Self Relief : MYR 9,000
Spouse Relief : MYR 3,000
Child Relief : MYR 1,000 per child (<18 years old)
B) EXPENSES INCURRED during the year which are eligible for tax relief:-
- Medical expenses certified by medical practitioner and nursing home for own parents. Restricted to: MYR5,000
- Medical expenses on serious diseases for self, spouse or child. Restricted to: MYR5,000
- Complete medical examination for self, spouse or child. Restricted to: MYR500
- Basic supporting equipment for disabled self, spouse, child or parent. Restricted to: MYR5,000
- Employee Provident Fund (EPF) and Life Insurance Premium. Restricted to: MYR7,000
- Education fees (self). Restricted to: MYR5,000
(i) other than a degree at Master or Doctorate level for acquiring law, accounting, Islamic financing, technical, vocational,
industrial, scientific or technological skills or qualifications
(ii) degree at Masters or Doctorate level for acquiring any skill or qualification
- Children above 18 years of age – maximum child relief of MYR6,000 is only allowed for children studying a degree level
- Purchase of a personal computer for individual (deduction allowed once in every 3 years). Restricted to: MYR3,000
- Subscription fees for Broadband. Restricted to: MYR500
- Purchase of books/magazines/journals/similar publications. Restricted to: MYR1,000
- Purchase of sports equipment for any sports activity as defined in Sports Development Act, 1997. Restricted to: MYR300
- Donation to an approved institution. Restricted to: 7% from total income.
[Reference on Personal Taxation can be obtained from Malaysia Inland Revenue website]